Go to Home page

Products & Areas of Cover





Bookmark this page

Home / Frequently Asked Questions / Claims / Frequently Asked Questions - Claims

Frequently Asked Questions - Claims

Call our 24/7 emergency assistance provider, Interglobal Assistance, as soon as possible on:

Call TOLL FREE if you are in the following countries:

New Zealand0800 188 100
Malaysia1800 802 157
Japan00531 642 084
Indonesia001 80 364 17375
Thailand001 800 647 355
China400 120 0542
Singapore800 641 1123
UK0800 0327 921
Australia1800 147 528

Call COLLECT (REVERSE CHARGES) from anywhere else worldwide:

Tel: +64 9 356 2276
Fax: +64 9 356 1882

(+) = International dialling code

You can call StudentCare Claims Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5pm (New Zealand time), or email us at claims@studentcareinsurance.com.

To assist us in answering your questions as efficiently a possible, if you are calling please have your StudentCare membership number ready to tell us and if you are emailing your questions please include the following:

  • Name;
  • Date of birth;
  • StudentCare membership number;
  • Daytime telephone number;
  • Evening telephone number;
  • Contact email address; and
  • Mailing address.


We aim to fully assess claims and process all payments with 10 working days. However, we can only do this if you have submitted ALL of the information we ask for on our claim forms and when the claim form has been fully completed (including a signature in pen).

Original receipts are the pieces of paper showing the charges for any goods or services which are given to you whenever you pay money for those goods or services. You should be provided a written receipt at the time of payment (for example, when you are at the doctor, or in a shop purchasing an item) and if you are not automatically given a receipt, you should ask for one.

Privacy laws prevent insurance companies from releasing a member’s confidential information to others without the written permission of that member. In cases where written permission in unobtainable, we will accept a certified copy of a power of attorney.

Which claim form you need to complete will depend on which section of the policy wording you are claiming under.

For example, if you are claiming under the Medical Expenses section you should complete our StudentCare Medical Claims form, or if your personal belongings are stolen you should complete a StudentCare Luggage Claims form. Information about which claim form to use can be found on our claim forms, so please check these in case you are unsure.

Unfortunately, many of the claim forms we receive cannot be processed immediately because they lack information or are completed incorrectly. To help us assess your claim as quickly as possible, please ensure that you do the following:

  1. Write the main policyholder’s name on the form in pen NOT pencil.
  2. Supply all documentation including the claim form itself in ENGLISH (provide translations if necessary).
  3. Supply only ORIGINAL receipts and documents (NOT copies – though you should make and keep copies for your records).
  4. Make sure that the policyholder or guardian signs the claim form. (A guardian can sign the form on behalf of a policyholder who is under the age of 18 years.)
  5. Attach all receipts, medical reports or proof of ownership (where applicable) to the claim form.
  6. Check your name and address details are correct.
  7. Make sure you answer ALL questions on the claim form. These are all important questions that we need answered before we can process any claim.


You must call if…

  1. you are being admitted to a hospital to stay;
  2. you are having major tests, including CAT or MRI scans;
  3. you need surgery;
  4. you are planning daycare treatment.

No, you don’t. If you receive treatment from a registered medical practitioner and your condition does not relate to a pre-existing condition, simply pay for your treatment, complete a claim form (including original receipts, prescriptions and diagnoses) and send everything to us to assess.

Yes - this is very important!

All planned inpatient or daycare treatment (treatment where you are admitted to a hospital) must be pre-authorised. In the event of an emergency admission please ensure that you, the hospital, a friend or a colleague contacts us as soon as possible.

Yes, but you must do the following:

  1. Report the burglary to the police within 24 hours of it happening; and
  2. Supply us with a copy of the police report together with your proof of ownership for the stolen items.


StudentCare policies provide emergency dental cover only and in very specific circumstances. These are:

  1. to relieve dental pain using antibiotics, temporary dressings or extraction to restore dental function; or
  2. for treatment following accidental and violent injury to sound and natural teeth.

You will need to supply a dental report to support your claim, so please ask your dentist for one while you are there.

These things are NOT covered under your policy…

Elective dental treatment and normal maintenance are NOT covered under your StudentCare policy, so please consider this before seeing your dentist. Normal maintenance includes (but is not limited to):

  1. any dental work resulting from lack of regular dental maintenance and/or hygiene.
  2. root canal procedures (endodontic therapy);
  3. fillings;
  4. scaling and polishing;
  5. titanium implants;
  6. wisdom teeth extractions;
  7. restoration work;
  8. caps crowns precious metal costs or pins and fittings;
  9. replacement due to loss of dental bridges;
  10. periodontal work;


StudentCare outpatient claims work on a pay-and-claim basis and most GPs, medical practitioners and specialists will ask you to pay for the services you receive at the time you receive treatment. If you receive any outpatient treatment or prescriptions, you should pay and keep the original receipts which the medical provider or pharmacy gives you. These should then be submitted along with a completed claim form to us for assessment.

All inpatient or daycare claims must be pre-approved by us before we will pay for any treatment. If you have not received pre-approval from us for any inpatient or daycare treatment, you will probably be expected to pay the hospital directly. If you are asked to pay, make sure you ask for a receipt for the treatment. Original receipts (you should also keep your own copies) should be submitted to us for assessment along with a completed claim form. On your form you will also need to explain exactly why you failed to contact us before any treatment was carried out.

Yes, if you have an Area A (Australia or New Zealand) policy which is 3 months or longer and if your vision has changed, meaning that you need new optical aids:

I already have glasses/contact lenses:
We will pay for the cost of replacing prescription lenses or contact lenses. No cover for cost of frames.

I need glasses/contact lenses for the first time now:
We will pay for the cost spectacle frames and lenses, or contact lenses. We will pay up to $150 towards the cost of frames.

Yes, but only if you are studying in Area A (Australia or New Zealand). You can claim up to NZ$1,200 per year if you were referred by a medical doctor and your treatment is considered both reasonable and necessary.

We require original receipts and documents, but if these are not available we will at our discretion consider other forms of proof of ownership, including:

  1. bank or credit card statements showing purchase of item/cash withdrawals;
  2. valuations dated prior to the theft/damage;
  3. currency exchange dockets for cash;
  4. warranty/guarantee documentation, manuals and/or accessories if accompanied by another form of proof of ownership and value.

Please first refer to your policy wording to see what is and is not covered. If you are still unsure about whether you can make a claim, contact us and we’ll be able to help understand what your policy covers you for and whether you can make a claim.

If you have any other questions, would like to request information, or just need some clarification about your policy, please let us know and one of the StudentCare team will be happy to help.

You can reach us on:


+64 (0) 9 309 2119

Home     Products / Areas of Cover     FAQ     Claims     Resources     Contact Us     About Us     Agents
Website design and development by Netactive